Saturday, November 18, 2006

Song of the Day

I have been extremely busy lately and will be for the forseeable future. I am currently working two jobs and all the travelling on the weekends takes up any free time I might have had.

Anyway on the busride home (my only real quiet reflective time) I heard a great song on my mp3 player and I just wanted to share it with everyone. (I was previously going to post the lyrics to another great song but that will have to wait I guess)

It is 'Such Great Heights' by The Postal Service (yet another great band off of Sub Pop Records. Here are the lyrics:

I was thinking it's a sign that the freckles
in our eyes are mirror images and when
we kiss they're perfectly aligned
and I have to speculate that god himself
did make us into corresponding shapes like
puzzle pieces from the clay
and true, it may seem like a stretch, but
its thoughts like this that catch my troubled
head when you're away when I am missing
you to death
when you are out there on the road for
several weeks of shows and when you scan
the radio, I hope this song will guide you
home

they will see us waving from such great
heights, "come down now," they'll say
but everything looks perfect from far away,
"come down now," but we'll stay...

I tried my best to leave this all on your
machine but the persistant beat it sounded
thin upon listening
and that frankly will not fly. you will hear
the shrillest highs and lowest lows with
the windows down when this is guiding
you home


Now I am not always a fan of love songs but this one is so irresistable with its catchy beat and soft melodies......oh so good!

3 comments:

Tim said...

It's a great record...Ben Gibbard is pretty much the best for heartfelt emo ballad type lyrics like these. His Death Cab lyrics are also generally pretty stellar - if you want a sad love song, it's hard to beat "Title and Registration."

Reuben said...

Couldn't agree more - actually that disc is on my MP3 player right now too. Didn't know he was in both bands although they are both on the same label so that kindof makes sense.

Tim said...

yeah he writes the lyrics and sings for the Postal Service (as for DCFC), and this electronica genius guy does everything else, I think.